Friday, October 16, 2009

Morelia Supermarket









Brightly colored flags criss-cross the parking lot snapping in the breezy sunlight. A huge canvas sign stretches across the front of the new store, just blocks from our Evanston, Il, home, "Bienvenidos a Morelia Supermarket, Welcome to Morelia Supermarket." Specal offers are plastered across the large front windows; chicken breast, rice, tomatoes, cheese. I can hear the ranchera music blaring from inside before I get to the front door.

Mothers with babies and toddlers in tow speak in Spanish to each other and to the clerk at the customer service desk where we hand over our reusable bags and recieve a raffle ticket in exchange. They include me with smiles, in their greetings.

Where should I start? I can't pass up the bakery! It's right there at the entrance with the familiar stacks of trays and tongs, bins with fresh bolillos, sheets of pan dulce and my favorite cookies with the sprinkles on top. (What makes those cookies so irresistible?) I fill a tray even though I only need to buy few things. I can come again, I have to remind myself, but I don't put anything back.

I'm tempted by everything; the towering pyramids of fruits and vegetables, chayotes, jicamas, key limes; a dairy case full of panela and cotija cheeses; bag after bag of dried chiles---pasilla, ancho, guajillo, and cascabel; fresh fish and meat, arrachera, pollo, camarones.

I follow the aroma of food cooking to the back of the store. A small crowd has gathered here and I can see why. Its only 8:00 a.m., but what better time for crisp chicharrones, carne asada and spicy salsa? From the men behind the counter, there comes a rapid stream of Spanish as they fill orders from the steaming pans of tamales and rice. They ladle spicy pork stew onto Styrofoam plates, pass heaping cloth-covered baskets of warm tortillas into waiting hands.

Browsing idly through the aisles my shopping list forgotten, my schedule suspended, I am immersed in the sounds I've missed all summer. I feel the familiar tug of my Mexican home where time seems endless, where even grocery shopping takes the whole day and that's just fine.

My colorful Mexican shopping bags are retrieved and filled as I tell the young woman how happy I am that this wonderful store has opened. She smiles and shows me the writing on the market's plastic rocery bags, "Autenticamente Mexico, Authentically Mexico," it says. And it is.

1 comment:

Gringa-n-Mexico said...

I'm still not used to how neato and lovely the mexican bakeries are - and I've been here for a year! It's like stepping into a candy store as a child :) Nice blog :)