Thursday, July 10, 2008

What Do We See In Frida?

Frida Kahlo by Oaxacan ceramicist Josefina Aguilar

Frida Kahlo’s intense eyes gaze at me in every gift shop along Avenida Tercer Mundo, San Pancho’s main street. Tiny Frida self-portraits pasted on matchboxes. Giant Frida faces imprinted on scarves. Frida and her pet monkeys decoupaged onto the frames of mirrors.

I have assembled a small collection of Frida items -- two pink tote bags; an evening purse; a doll; a Frida-with-monkeys picture; and, most precious of all, a six-inch high ceramic statue that I bought in Oaxaca.

Of course Frida is a world-renowned artist, but what is it about her that makes me and a lot of other people want to buy Frida paraphernalia? How did she become an icon? She’s practically a symbol of Mexico.

If we know the circumstances of her life, maybe she inspires us, or we identify with her. She survived personal tragedies, physical disabilities, and tempestuous relationships. All those life experiences became the substance of her art.

It could be that she touches our desire to challenge convention, as she did. To me there’s a message in that famous eyebrow and in her little mustache: “I am who I am, and I’ve got my own idea of what’s beautiful. No apologies.”

And beautiful she was, all decked out with flowers, ribbons, and jewelry. The exotic persona she created was a work of art in itself.

When I carry my Frida tote bag in New Haven, where I live when I’m not in Mexico, strangers stop to compliment me. Frida may be commonplace in San Pancho, but she’s a rarity in Connecticut. All of my Frida mementos are in Connecticut, because, when I have my Frida things, I’ve got a little bit of Mexico with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were walking in San Francisco, CA on our way to a concert at Davies Smphony Hall and looked in a store window that was ALL Frida things. I felt such a connection! She is touching everyone everywhere.

Catherine said...

Nancy,
Thanks for shating your blog.
As we'll be off for India in a few short weeks, much of it resonated with me: finding a way to exercise, letting go of frustration, and appreciating the many shapes our lives can take.
Catherine